Thursday, March 13, 2014

Interview - Sungmy Kim

This week we present you Sungmy Kim, industrial, product and furniture designer from South Korea, currently living in Stony Brook, NY, Usa. Take a look what she had to say about her work, experiences and some small bits from her personal life. Here it goes:

......................................................................................................................................................................................

Have you always wanted to become a designer?
I was good at drawing since I was young, but I didn't know well about a designer as a job at that time. When I was a freshman in high school, I had thought that I wanted to be an astronomer because I was so interested in astronomy. Soon, I realized that becoming a designer is what I can be happy in my life.

Which project has given you the most satisfaction?
Ringo is the most. I was fully absorbed in user's needs and environments at first. Also, other teams in my company worked so hard for this because they were convinced of my concept and design. I think it is the reason that customers' satisfaction and sales performance of the Ringo are so high.



What types of books are on your bedside table?
These days, I’m reading “Design Activism” by Alastiar Fuad-Luke. I’m interested in appropriate technology and social change, and thinking about the role of designers for sustainable world.

What is the best moment of the day?
Well, when I’m in a hot bath tub.

What would be your dream project?
I can’t imagine the specific form of my project yet, but it can be so worthwhile that if my design is helpful to underprivileged people’s lives.


What type of music do you play while creating?
I don’t listen to music while creating. If I'm listening, I will be so into the music and can't work because I love listening and singing!

How important is craftsmanship in your design process?
I think craftsmanship is the most important factor to design even though a project is trifling.

Who is your hero at the moment?
My parents and parents-in-law.


Cat or dog?
Neither. I’ve never had a pet.

If you were a character from a cartoon, which one would you be? :)
Iron man! Smart, handsome, humorous, and has many clever iron bodies!

If you could do any other job what would you choose and why?
As I mentioned, I would be an astronomer. Or, I would be a travel guide or a guest house owner because I like traveling and meeting with various people from other town or countries!

Where could we find you on friday night?
Unfortunately, I would be at home because I recently moved to this town, Long Island, NY. I hope to be in Manhattan on Friday night soon!



What is the most inspiring pieces of furniture for you to design and why?
I admire Charles and Ray Eames and Finn Juhl as perfectly aesthetic furniture designers. Moreover, I like the bright ideas of Campeggi’s furniture.

Favorite blogs / sites etc.?
Facebook…?!! And I like my blog. http://meui-in-ny.tistory.com I’m sorry about that it is all written in Korean, but this blog is about my personal daily lives. After I made this blog, my family and friends don’t need to worry about me anymore.


 How would you define your personal work-life balance in terms of ratio (50/50 70/30 etc)
I recently turned into a freelance designer, so I’m trying to settle this issue.

What brings you joy?

Having good relationships with new people!

......................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you Sungmy for your time and interview, we wish you a lot of new nice projects in the future. You can find her work on Behance

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! We will be linking to this particularly great article on our website.Keep up the great writing.

    paris

    ReplyDelete